The Department of Science Education is strongly committed to the improvement of teaching and learning of science at all levels (pre-Kindergarten through University) and in all settings (classrooms and non-classroom locales). Activities of the Department are diversified, ranging from teacher preparation (elementary through university) to science professional development for practicing professionals.
Program-Level Learning Objectives
The Master’s degree program offered by the Department of Science Education is designed for the practicing professionals, with options for elementary and secondary teachers and educators from informal science learning centers. Students graduating from our program will have:
1. deepened their science content knowledge;
2. increased their confidence in their content knowledge and teaching abilities;
3. synthesized, evaluated, and applied key ideas in the discipline and practice of science education;
4. critically read and applied scholarly literature in science education;
5. designed and carried out education research; and
6. developed science education professional leadership skills.